Thursday, June 5, 2008

Crosshairs on the Cross
























A father's comments to his Son on his wedding Day. Thank you Redonia for creating the picture.


I held you that first day....

A sense of greatness settled upon me...

I immediately knew you were placed in my hands with purpose....

As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Ps 127:4.....

In my hands rested an arrow to be held, loved, prepared, trained and launched at the appropriate moment...

I held this arrow and searched for a target and became a mighty man in seconds...

You were being aimed, that first week when you went to church....

When you were but two years old and your mother carried you out thirteen times in a single service to spank you...

You were being aimed....

All those trips to Conroe from Pasadena when you were three, you were being aimed....

Sitting on that front bench as a four year old by yourself, being dared to wiggle you were being aimed....

Countless Saturday visitations in the back seat.........

I aimed you....

During remodel and building projects, I would give you a block of wood to hammer nails into, you were being aimed....

The time you yelled out "darn" in front of all the church people and you mother thrashed you chubby little self, you were being aimed....

The day you asked me if we were going to teach another Bible Study you were being aimed....

That wee hour prayer meeting you came dragging you pillow and lay down beside me in your jammies, I aimed....

Not a single day of your life have I taken my eye off the target....

I aimed you while on vacation, reminding you the rules were the same then as when we were home....

I aimed you every time I drug you to another youth camp to work....

I aimed you with pots and pans and drum pads and CB 700's and metronomes and Rolands and insisting you would wear ties and suits while playing those drums.....

I aimed you time after time reminding you that you still had the same rules as everybody else.....

But you also had some unique rules that applied to you and your sister only, because I aimed you toward a greater target.....

When the teacher was wrong you never knew it because the teacher was never wrong as far as I was concerned...

I aimed....

When you got your own car I aimed you to the church van on Friday nights to ride with the rest of the group.....

I aimed you by giving you that snack machine and telling you that if you could manage this machine successfully you could manage a home, family and church....

The day I went upstairs and lay on the bed with a frustrated teenager that did not understand why he couldn't do what all the other boys did..........

I aimed you that day toward a target I could see, but you could not....

You needed to grow a little taller to see that day....


So I explained to you that like young King Josiah that was kept hidden those years, you couldn't do what all the other boys might be able to do because one day you would be a king and young kings don't do what other boys do.....

I aimed....

Oh, in early years it felt so good to have you safe and secure in my quiver....

But as you matured I placed you on the bow...

And applied pressure.....

At times my arms would tremble just holding you on the target....

The Crosshairs would waver and my daddy heart would want to relax expectations a bit....

But the mighty man in me would not allow it....

I aimed by taking car keys and cell phones from you....

I aimed by pulling you from the platform for doing less than others had done.....

I aimed by giving your first curfew after you were engaged....

I applied much pressure...

I aimed knowing the pressure applied would make or break....

But I had little choice.....

Then came the day.....

I could see you had made the decision to trade me and mom in for a little five foot gal....

I know my calls to you while you were with her embarrassed you...

But I held the Crosshairs firmly on the target knowing it would be worth it.....

There were times when I wearied of holding the Crosshairs so high and steady....

Moments when I was tempted to lower the aim a bit....

But Son I could not....

The mighty man in me could not allow a lesser target....

So I held those Crosshairs centered on the Cross....

There were days I could not see the Cross for the Crosshairs....

Or the Crosshairs for the Cross...

My arms would tremble with pressure as I held firm and steady....

Many did not understand.....

But you weren't allowed to do what other boys did....

The Crosshairs were on the Cross....

I knew I had to hold you steady.....

I knew I had to aim you high....

I knew that if I wavered you might miss the target....

So for twenty one years I have firmly held you aimed at that crossbar on the Cross....

Crosshairs on the Cross.......

I knew you were but a boy....

A boy destined for greatness.....

You were not perfect and fell short of the target more than once....

On those days you fell short....

Because the Crosshairs were steadily held firmly on center....

You landed at the Foot of the Cross.....

And my dear arrow this mighty man was thrilled to see you there......

What better place for a young man to land?

Today my son you enter into a new world of manhood....

I have held the Crosshairs on the Cross....

So with great confidence I take a deep breath.....

And a final look and make sure the Crosshairs are Superimposed upon the Cross...

With a final steadying of my own heart and spirit.....

I release and launch you into you own world...

But Son please remember....

I do not release you and turn and walk away....

Rather.....

I release you and hold steady, following through with my eyes firmly on you as you speed toward the Cross I have so steadily aimed you toward.....

Just as David confidently launched the stone toward Goliath's forehead.....

I confidently launch you into the world and ministry God has ordained for you life.....

And as you speed toward your mark of the prize of the high calling...

Never forget......

I continue to hold the Crosshairs on the Cross....

Anticipating with joy what lies ahead of you and your bride......

I am proud of you.....

Crosshairs on the Cross.....

Dad

4 comments:

Steven Saiz said...

Wow! Excellent!

Mark Pryor said...

POWERFUl!

KAN said...

This, my Pastor, is your finest yet. Your words are so moving!

The true "King of the Object Lesson", the Rev R Kent Smith, has his greatest lesson for his favorite son.

You have been a good archer, sir.
A bull's eye this time...

Linda Elms said...

Bro. Smith, what a wonderful lesson for all to read and follow!