Saturday, April 12, 2008

Maybe, Just Maybe













"Hey Bro Smith", the young lady called.....

As I walked our special neighborhood today and prayed for the residents of the community....

Tracie was off playing Pied Piper.....

I was praying and overwhelmed with the magnitude of the task at hand.......

Jesus wept when he looked at Jerusalem and saw the condition of the people.....

And today I think I felt a bit like he must have as I prayed over the hundreds of people who live in our community and have no hope.....

Today I prayed as I watched the young men wandering around the neighborhood still struggling with the after effects of Friday night.....

I was touched when I saw the young teenage girl as she sat on her porch dressed in her night clothes and the young man fawning over her.......

I was angered as I watched one of our little 12 year old girls walk across the the compound holding hands with her little boyfriend.....

Who is gonna keep her from getting pregnant before she is a teenager?

Overwhelmed.....

That these people are driven by the basest of emotions......

Lust....

Survival.......

With no hope......

Then Tracie and I went to find a family that had moved to another neighborhood....

Only to find a completely different area we did not know was there.....

Overwhelmed with where to start....

Overwhelmed with how do we help of save these people....

Overwhelmed that the harvest is plenteous but the laborers are few.....

We do not have enough help.....

There is no way we can bus all these to the church.....

Somehow we must bring the message to them in the streets......

Lord we need help!

Lord we need you!

How and where do we begin?

For years I have driven through Conroe and have seen people.....

Many times I have not even seen the people!

But now I pass through the city and see souls.....

I become overwhelmed with the souls....

Lost souls.....

Souls with no hope....

Souls driven by the basest of natures......

Lord how do I at least offer hope?

The size of the harvest is paralyzing....

The logistics are more than I can manage.....

The disciples told the Lord one day all we have is five loaves and two fishes.....

The Lord showed them that was enough....

And all we have at CUPC is a few people who are willing....

A van and suburban to bring folks in.....

But I have a feeling all we have is somehow going to be just enough....

Tomorrow we will bring as many as we can....

Others will bring themselves....

We will worship....

I will preach about a thirsty soul.....

And I just know that He will quench the thirst of a soul tomorrow.....

And so this morning my prayer and walk was interrupted by the young lady shouting "Bro Smith"......

You don't remember me do you?

I pause and look......

And look again at a young lady who was once a young girl in our Christian School who has drifted so far from God and is living in the depth of iniquity.....

Yes I do.....

And then I was able to spend a few moments and remind her that Jesus still loves her.....

That only he will help her out of her dilemma.....

And that the church is a place where no one has a past but everyone has a future....

Maybe just maybe....

Our feeble best might just be enough to facilitate His harvest......

Blessings...

rks

2 comments:

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Yes, one soul at a time. It seems so little and so slow. It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but He is working. That's how I feel, too many... and not enough... But He is working - we do what we can. I cry because they are so many... and not enough... But tonight I rejoice because some came and God touched them. They sought the Holy Ghost, they want to be baptized because they want to go to Heaven. Children... Suffer the little children...
There is a revival in the land!!!
"Our feeble best..." Jesus took it, broke it, multiplied it...

KAN said...

Hey Bro Smith, I really want to know, kinda afraid to ask, though. Don't want to mention names, but I kinda think it's probably one of the only girls we ever had to ask to leave CCS. She would come around and beg and beg to come back, but was never really willing to change her attitude, or her ways. We loved her. Loved her a lot. Let me know...
Kathleen