Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bailout Failure

I am no economist...

However this bank bailout failure we are all watching caused me to pause and think....

We are told that if Main Street does not bail out Wall Street we are in serious trouble....

Maybe so....

Though I am not in the money business I am in the people business and this has monetary implications as well....

So I ponder....

I pastor a church and help people all the time....

I rejoice in the weeks we have new people....

I often weep when we lose some....

However I pull at my experience this morning with this simple observation.....

Several years ago we lost over one half of our congregation.....

This included an entire board, much of the platform and music help, an entire young adult group not to mention others.....

I thought I would die......

Imagine the monetary implications.....

Imagine the emotional implications.....

I don't need to imagine.....

I remember....

However with this major loss in the economics and the giving base of our church I learned a lesson that I think might be applicable to what we are observing in our nations capitol.....

This bailout failure might be good for us.....

It might be a natural shifting and self correction for the sloppy and nonchalant practices we have experienced....

Banks are failing but others are prospering during this time....

In the church that I pastor there is always a particular family that passes through the storm but if they just hold on things usually self regulate and things return to normal....

Maybe this needs to happen to America......

I know when this happened to CUPC it made me a better pastor.....

The current crisis we are seeing in America might just make us all better Americans.....

Blessings...

rks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro. Smith - you are right on target with this one. I am in 100% agreement in regard to the failed bailout.

I also feel as though we have been one of those families you mentioned....just holding on through the storms, adjustments, etc over the past 12 years ....I thank God every day for my Pastor and his wife who have prayed countless hours for our church body and who have stood FIRM and TALL through EVERY storm, holding on to those of us who were weaker. I know I don't express myself often enough - but I love you and Sis. Smith more than you know! Sis. Weldon

Karen J. Hopper said...

Excellent post Bro. Smith. Although it will be painful, the end results will make us better Americans. Think we should send you to Washington DC to be a voice for us ordinary (but seem not to count) people.