Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Day I Went To A Bull Fight












Three summers ago I took my family to Cancun....

Yeah I know what you are thinking....

What is a Pentecostal preacher gonna do in Cancun.....

Well let me tell you....

I was the only guy there walking down the beach with a Sheaves for Christ tee shirt pulled over my long sleeve white preacher shirt and a Mother's Memorial ball cap on.....

My kids were mortified.....

But in all reality there were many things to do and see and we enjoyed the tourist stuff we did....

One afternoon we were perusing a tourist catalogue and saw an upcoming bull fight...

Cool the kids said....

Cool said momma....

Dad was cool and took them.....

And the experience became a life change event for the whole family....

We got our tickets and found our seats....

The clowns came out and it was a blast....

We opted to pass on the tequila but did buy orange sodas for everybody.....

Then the bull fighter came out and swirled his cape.....

Trumpets blared....

Out charged the bull.....

Cape swirled and fighter danced and bull whirled and cape swirled and fighter danced and bull whirled....

I think you get the picture....

Then out came the sword to kill the bull.....

Then out came the horse and spear....

And a different spirit entered the arena....

People leaned forward in anticipation of the upcoming death....

Bull bellowed....

People held their breaths....

And I could not stay anymore....

I told my family I would be waiting in a cab and walked out....

As I sat in the cab I looked and here came Trent, Redonia and Tracie....

Trent got in and asked what was that feeling in the place?

The girls said gross....

And I leaned back nauseated.....

Nauseated in my spirit that I had taken my family to such an event....

Sickened that I had innocently followed a tourist crowd to an event that I would soon learn that I had no business being at to begin with....

I would later ask our Spanish Pastor about the feeling we felt....

He told me that that was no place for godly people....

I knew that now....

The event provided me with a most wonderful opportunity to teach my kids.....

But without my teaching both learned a very valuable lesson....

I do not think I will ever have to worry about them doing such a thing again.....

I feel reasonably sure our mistaken adventure will leave us with a never to be forgotten memory....

And conviction....

Blessings...

rks

No comments: