Monday, May 7, 2012

The Good Part of Grief



This morning I look back at the events of the last nearly 4 weeks….

Accidents, broken hearts, funerals, farewells, friends, love, food, flowers, cards and now….

Grief…..

That unwelcome but lurking elephant in the room that all want to ignore but refuses to be…..

That lurking presence that  chooses to make itself known right when one wishes it would not….

Tears come for no apparent reason…..

Irrational responses to the least significant of gestures…..

Denials of what cannot be disputed…..

Surreality of the facts….

The bargains and gambles of doing anything to make this not so real….

Self imposed isolations that being alone fixes it, when in all reality it only magnifies things….

The re-emergence of pain that is only a mask for the denials, and bargains gone unanswered…

Such pain wears the garments of anger….

Angers…

Angers that point at the wrong places….

Angers that hurt those who already hurt alongside…….

Angers that flash but in all reality are invitations for hugs and love….

For we hurt those we love the most and ……

The ones we love the most hurt us…..

This vortex of irrational emotions cannot be denied nor prevented…..

I know….

For they are our houseguests now……

Uninvited….

Imposing…….

Could care less about the real people involved…..

But  never forget……

There might be uninvited houseguests…..

But the Master is also onboard…..

And while natural emotions cause us to think this old houseboat might just go down….

While waves of grief, anger & depression batters this old boat…..

While irrational responses cause us to even query the Master with things such as…..

Carest thou not if we perish???

I think I seem him gather himself and go to the rail…..

I think he gazes upon this storm….

And I await….

Await as he ponders wind, rain, grief, emotions, angers and our humanity……

I await, as he takes what he already knows in…..

I await His words….

For I know…

I absolutely know…..

That echoing into this present dilemma will be the command on an eternal level….

Peace be still!!!!

Soon, the wind, waves, emotions, angers and even our human weakness will hear and feel those words….

All will obey Him…..

Peace will preside…..

Comfort take authority……

Joy and strength emerge……

For even the winds, waves, emotions, angers, bargains and depressions must obey Him…..

I have absolute faith in the Lord…..

I also recognize we are limited and trapped in this mortal reality…..

Now,  the old southern gospel tune begins to sound in my heart right now…..

He came down to my level, when I couldn’t come up to his…..

This is just one more reason I trust him…..

rks



No comments: