Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Messed Up


OK….

If you have followed this blog any time at all you know that I love words like…..

Becoming….

Unfolding……

Miraculous…….

Manifest……

Grace……

Words that endeavor to capture the bigness of what happens to us when we trust ourselves into His hands…..

But this blog is a candid blog about candid stuff dealing with candid reality…..

So last night friends came through town and we met them at a favorite spot…..

They had come miles….

We but a short distance but they had to wait quite a while on us…

On the way there I answered and returned all sorts of crazy & uncomfortable calls and texts…….

We found ourselves leaving town for a couple of days, and were leaving after the dinner with the friends…..

Tracie didn’t read my mind very well and I felt a flash of frustration……

I was breathing lightenings and thunderings and threatenings under my breath…..

Smoke, fire & vapor began to emit my nostrils……

Pity the soul who lingered in my pathway……

I strongly considered launching my iPhone towards the Milky Way……

And finally arriving to meet the friends…

She runs up and said,

OK now, I come for my group hug…..

We laughed and did the hug around and then when asked how we were doing….

I fibbed….

I fabricated……

I stretched things a bit….

OK….

I lied…..

Told you this was candid…..

I did the old familiar, we are doing good, how about y’all routine….

But friends don’t take those kind of answers….

And they said….

No you are not…..

I stopped and reflected and chuckled….

Nope, I am not doing alright today……

So instead of one of my favorite kind of words like, unfolding, miraculous etc…..

I inserted another word into the evening that seemed to fit much better…..

I am messed up!

And I was…..

Why is it we think we must maintain facades?

Why do we feel compelled to fib to ourselves and the world?

We all get messed up…..

It is ok to admit it…..

Messed up is a normal condition for many of us….

Especially when life has been raw and brazen of late……

However being messed up is one thing……

Denying it is another…..

Pride can be vicious…..

So next time your fib meter goes off and your friend fake smiles you…..

Don’t accept what they say…..

Push a little bit and share some love…..

Next time your fib spouter….

Next time your pride spouts fibs……

Back up and adjust and share the truth…..

Your friends will like you a whole you better…..

You will like you a whole lot better……

So will God….

And you will find peace from the honesty of simply admitting every now and then that we all get….

Messed up…..

rks





No comments: