Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One Day You'll Be King

A couple of years ago my son Trent was in the crossroads of life. Graduating from high school and dually enrolled in college. He was also feeling the call of God on his life yet he was in the midst teenage confusions. His life was a bit bumpy and one particular day had not been good. Late that evening I went upstairs, laid on his bed beside him, and told him this little story…


Uncle Jay…

I want to go outside and play with the other boys…

I do not like having to stay here while they have all the fun….

I understand Joe, that you would rather go play with the other boys…

How long am I going to have to stay here Uncle Jay?

Until…

I am tired of not getting to go outside with the other boys….

Yes….

Uncle Jay what is wrong with what all the other boys are doing?

Maybe not so much Lil Joe…

I stand at this window every day and watch the other boys have so much fun Uncle Jay…

I am going to go outside no matter what you say Uncle Jay…

No….

Uncle Jay….

Why can’t I go outside and play and have fun like everybody else….

I want to be like all the other little boys Uncle Jay…

So the moment of reckoning arrived….

Jehoiada looked down at young Joash and replied….

I would love you to be able to go and be like the other little boys….

I really wish I could let you go outside and be normal like them…

You are different than they…

You are marked….

You are called….

You are chosen….

And you cannot be like the other little boys….

For Joash…

One day you will be king….

And kings do not do what other people do!

But Jehoshabeath….took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons that were slain, and put him and his nurse in a bedchamber. So Jehoshabeath, the daughter of king Jehoram, the wife of Jehoiada the priest, hid him from Athaliah, so that she slew him not. 2 Chron 22:11

2 comments:

scott phillips said...

I think I will remember that for my boys.

The other day in prayer the Lord showed me something like that about my boys.

Thanks for writing that down.

Tracie Smith said...

I'll never forget that evening when you came downstairs with tears in your eyes and told me about sharing this story with Trent. I remember it made such an incredible difference in his life. He became content and the negative feelings of being alone seemed to have such purpose. Hence the negative turned to positive or purposeful feelings. It was then he was teased about going out to eat with us rather than friends. People didn't understand and teased that he was only going along so Dad could pick up the tab. We knew however that it was then that he was finding protection for the future.