Friday, February 27, 2009

Lead Yourself First!















K folks....

I have been reading John Maxwell's "Leadership Gold" and have come across the most astounding chapter....

The Toughest Person To Lead Is Yourself.....

Ouch....

Here are the four things he talks about.....

Practice Followership...

I have kept books on followership on my desk for the last several years and so this one made me feel good.....

I even blogged about this one time in my Leading From The Pew piece....

Practice Self Discipline.....

This one left a mark after the smack but I am working on it.....

Practice Patience.....

Time helps with this and I marvel at my standard response to issues of late. Let a little time take care of it......

Seek Accountability.....

I think this has been the secret to Tracie and I over the years. We have no secrets from the other. One must choose accountability and take the pain it sometimes brings....

This chapter has been incredible and I have taken an entire week to read it one little section at a time.....

Indeed my friends...

Leading one's self is a most difficult process...

I keep reminding myself this every morning at 5:45 when the alarm goes off and I head to the Y.....

But there is little doubt in this pastor....

If I can lead myself then I need to worry about others following....

But if I lead not myself....

The blind will be leading the blind and the ditches will be full.....

Blessings...

rks

No comments: